Saturday, July 3, 2010

Can't Never Did Anything!

I know I said I would try to limit my posts to twice a week but this was too good to pass up.  I was in the airport this morning to go see my son and went into the gift shop. There was a book on the checkout stand that caught my eye.  It has amazed me lately how many things have happened seemingly by coincidence but which are guiding me in a certain direction. Synchronicity. We will talk about the tattoo on my hip another time. NOT.  Anyway, the title of the book is 'Sh*t My Dad Says' by Justin Halpern. I immediately bought the book.  Kimberly, my sis, and I could  spend months if not years reminiscing about all of our favorite Dadisms! One that is now very poignant in my life is 'Can't never did anything.'  It is so true isn't it? If we live with the word 'can't' in our vocabulary, we limit ourselves so very much.  Nathan and I were talking the other night and it became clear to me why he, Jim and Trisha have been so effective for me.  Never once has any of them said 'You can't do that because you have MS." Never once has any of them said they were so sorry I had this illness. Never once have they shrouded me in pity.  They have supported and encouraged me and shown me that I CAN do anything I work for.  Get rid of the word 'cant' in your vocabulary and know that you can do anything with work and in time.  Forbid those around you from using the word and giving you pity.

I love that Dadism so much it is on the back of the first Team Inspiration t-shirt.

Keep trying and my best,

-Trace

No comments:

Post a Comment