Sunday, August 15, 2010

WHEN AN UGLY REMINDER IS A VERY GOOD THING

Nathan will fill you in on the details next week of Sundays with Jarvis but I wanted to share an important lesson with you that I learned this morning. You are probably smarter than me, so this would have come to you very quickly but lawyers as a general rule are very dense so it takes us so much longer to figure things out.

When I got up this morning at 5 am to go walk with Nathan, I immediately fell twice. I am talking MS fall. The kind that I have not had since April. It's basically where Jarvis and his brother both say “It’s too early. I quit and am going back to bed.” The voice from the little girl in Poltergeist rang through my head saying “It’s baaaaack.” In the past, I would have freaked out and called Lynn and told her that I was not doing well and that I needed to start my IV steroids as soon as possible. I probably would have thrown myself a HUGE pity party and spent most of the day in bed. After all – I have MS. But Nathan would be waiting for me and I would not fail him. So I went walking.

I did not tell Nathan about my falls. He also did not mention to me the fact that the second I started, he knew that something was seriously wrong. The important thing is that I finished the walk. I did not blow my time from last week out of the water. I took more frequent and longer breaks and it was obvious that I was struggling. I did not, however, take longer than I did when we started this adventure. To me that was HUGE. AND I FINISHED. Nathan attributed that fact that I was able to finish to Trisha and the core work she is doing. I agree.

The key is what I always say here. KEEP TRYING AND DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED when you have a bad day. It happens. JUST DON’T QUIT. Maybe don’t push yourself as hard that day and know that you will try again tomorrow. Remember that courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying “I will try again tomorrow.”

I rode 13 miles on my bike outside yesterday, swam a good bit and walked this morning. I have trained all week. So bad days like this are to be expected but will not beat me. Too many people are counting on me! That keeps me going. The folks around me see to that by encouraging me on good days and on bad.

Good luck, KEEP TRYING and my best,

Trace

2 comments:

  1. Trace,

    This is an incredible story and gift to those who are following you. You are supporting and motivating us as much, if not more, than we are you. Beautiful story! Thank you for sharing.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trace,

    You have shown again and again that you have the courage to risk defeat, and the mettle to overcome defeat when it is staring you in the face. In the sports arena, that kind of courage and mettle is what distinguishes athletes from mere players.

    /Stuart

    ReplyDelete