Thursday, August 5, 2010

A GOOD KIND OF PRIDE

There is pride that is bad and pride that is good. Let’s talk about the good pride. Jim’s daughter, Alyssa, came to the pool yesterday to coach me and give me some swim drills to work on. Here is a beautiful 17 year old (she must take after her Mom thank goodness) who got up before dawn and gave up her sleep and time to help me. Besides the obvious thought that her folks must be very proud of her, she is obviously very proud of them. Eric, a friend from high school that I have not seen or talked to in almost 30 years, sent me an email telling me that when he thinks of quitting training in 100 plus degree heat for his next uber-athletic event, he pushes himself because he knows that I am training for the CB&I next year. I am very proud of him. After Alyssa put me through my paces yesterday, Jim and I talked and a little more of this amazing mystery became clear. We are all PROUD of each other for so many different reasons and on so many different levels. This is not about competition. I am not (YET) competing with the Jim, Nathan, Trisha, Michelle or Erics of the world. I work hard and show up at the gym because I want the people supporting me to be PROUD of me and my efforts. Jim has told me that he shows up at the gym when he would rather sleep because he knows that I am there. Perhaps he wants me to be proud to have him as a mentor. I work hard on my Sunday morning walks with Nathan because I want him to be proud of me and to feel like his time is well spent. Whether I am proud to know and be associated with Jim, Nathan, Trisha, Michelle, Eric, Alyssa or any of the now over 50 people on Team Inspiration or whether they are proud of me, it is that pride that is motivating us to do things that we did not think possible. Whether athletically, helping other people in ways we have not been previously comfortable with or providing support in whatever way we can, the energy we are creating is bigger than any of us will ever understand. I am so PROUD of everyone on this journey with me and I want to work hard to make them each proud of me.

This started with a very few people and has grown to enormous proportions. For those of you with a challenge, you can create this kind of pride as well. Again, we go back to baby steps. Surprise yourself. Make someone proud of you. See how it builds.

Good luck, KEEP TRYING and my best,

Trace

No comments:

Post a Comment