Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Wii Fit Police

I got a Wii Fit for Christmas. Amazingly, I took it out of the box and, instead of playing games, I actually used it. Okay, I played games too but I digress. One of the daily events is the Body Test. After it tells you your weight and BMI, the real shocker comes. Two tests are given to you. One is a balance/coordination test and the other incorporates these skills with cognitive thought. The Wii Fit Police (I call her much worse but am trying to keep this clean) then gives you a drum roll and tells you what your Wii Fit age is. The first time I tested, my Wii fit age (I am completely ashamed to admit) was 72. Yes. 72! I am 47!!!! I thought that the machine was most certainly mistaken. (Again I am making this clean. I actually wanted to throw it all in the trash after cursing at it, stomping on it and showing that machine what 72 could do.) So I tested 12 or 15 more times and got about the same result. The rude awaken came that the machine actually would make me accountable to myself. I now find myself getting on the Wii Fit every morning to check my weight and BMI AND my Wii Fit Age. I am happy to report that my Wii Fit age is now regularly in the 20’s. You can also put your outside training in the log and keep up with that.

Whether you have a Wii Fit or not, find some way to be accountable TO YOURSELF. Maybe you time yourself balancing on one leg. Maybe you set your goal to walk one length in the pool. If you set SMALL goals and achieve them, you will start making your goals A LITTLE bigger each time. Do not set goals that are too big. You need to set goals that you WILL achieve. Success is a great motivator to do a little more the next time. My goal as far as the Wii Fit age was to decrease it by one year every day. If you do not make your goal it can be discouraging. The key to beating MS, losing weight, whatever your challenge is is to set and beat achievable goals. Then do a little more the next day.


Good luck and my best,


Trace

No comments:

Post a Comment