Friday, March 4, 2011

WINNING

I was approached by someone yesterday asking about the triathlon. They asked, rather incredulously, “You aren’t racing to win or even place are you?” I simply looked at them and said, “Of course I am.” They looked at me like I was crazy as many usually do.

The Light the Night walk for leukemia was just last fall. Trisha, Joe, Heidi, Anne, Terry and I met at Market Street in the Woodlands to start the short 2 mile walk. I would say several hundred people were there and the square was buzzing with excitement and noise. When I finished the walk, basically being carried by Heidi and Joe, the event had already closed down. Very few people were even in the square, the tents were already taken down and gone and the bands had packed up and left. I mean, you could hear crickets chirping! But there was a young man named Ross who excitedly congratulated me and another who decided to begin his weight loss journey, saying that he was inspired. I won.

Since this started, I have won. New, amazing friends. The formation of Team Inspiration Texas, a team that can only be described as huge and growing of people doing this triathlon with me. An opportunity to reach out and talk to others with challenges and give them hope and encouragement. The creation of a nonprofit organization that will continue this work for years to come. The excitement of knowing that the CB&I tri is the first of MANY events that I will complete. By doing, I win. PERIOD.

I may be acting a bit arrogant when I say this here and now but YES I DO PLAN TO WIN THE CB&I. It is my sincere hope that each of you win as well. The winner’s podium is as big as we need it to be. See you there!

Good luck, KEEP TRYING and my best,

-Trace

No comments:

Post a Comment