Wednesday, March 16, 2011

THE MYSTERY OF RECOVERY

I want to talk about recovery today. This applies to everyone, not just folks challenged with MS, although it has always been a huge issue with me. I think we are scared to extend ourselves based on our previous experiences. In the past, if I would exert myself, it would frequently take me a long time to recover so that I could function somewhat normally. It could take me several days to a week or more. Sometimes, I would have to go on IV steroids to combat the weakness and fatigue. What does that do to us? It discourages us from exerting ourselves to that level again. But what does that do? Gradually, we just get weaker and weaker because we have not engaged our muscles or our minds. We have not made ourselves “uncomfortable” or challenged our bodies. By the lack of exerting ourselves, we just get weaker and weaker so that when we do something which causes us to challenge ourselves, our needed recovery time actually increases. It is a vicious circle.

One amazing thing that has happened to me in the last 10 months has been through physically challenging myself, my recovery time has become practically non-existent. In the last week I have done a couple of things that some might say were not smart as far as exerting myself. I have on more than one occasion when leaving the gym been asked if I needed help or if I was okay. Perhaps it was the obvious limp or perhaps it was the fact that I looked like I was 3+ sheets to the wind drunk. Now in the past, it would have taken me at least a day or two to recover from this state if I was lucky. Now, I return back to normal usually in less than an hour. (Yes, there is a serious question among many as to whether I am capable of being “normal”.) So, I have added to my growing list of stupid Trace tricks fetes to amaze those around me by showing them that I am fine. Like everything that we have talked about here, this has not happened over night. Be smart about pushing or exerting yourself and know your limits. Push yourself a little every day without over doing it to the point that you actually increase your recovery time. Patience and baby steps, a recurring theme! Particularly patience. It has taken me almost a year and I still have a lot of improving to do. Ask me in 10 years or so where I am!

Good luck, KEEP TRYING and my best,

-Trace

No comments:

Post a Comment