Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The People Around Them

Last week I was privileged to be able to go with Trace for his treatment. Most of the time I just give him a hard time for faking it just so he can go and spend time with Lynn...his nurse for the last 11+ years. I had no idea that I was the one in for an unexpected experience. What I was able to see was the pain and especially the fear that goes along with MS and the treatments. People like you and I have to sit there and have some liquid pumped into their bodies in hope that it will improve their quality of life in some way. Some people sit there all day!

Now Trace is a veteran at this so he is somewhat unfazed by the process at least on the outside. It amazed me that everyone that came in for a treatment seemed to be more concerned about others. Trace kept making sure I was "OK" and a mother of two very young kids was very concerned about her father's ability to entertain the boys while she was detained. She made a simple but profound statement: "I just want to be there for my boys". What a reasonable request! Wouldn't it be nice if there was a way to assure her that opportunity?

For me the real eye opener was the waiting period after the infusion. For these people it is a time of worry and filled with fear of how there body is going to react. We all have enough fears in life. Can you imagine adding another one?

As I walked out I realized that these people that I crossed paths with are all doing everything they can to manage and improve their situation in life. I'm not so sure that people without these kind of heath issues (my self included) can openly state that they are doing everything they can to help themselves and others. My message is for those that do not have MS to get up and do more. Take better care of yourself and the ones around you. Most of all if you can find a way to assist someone with MS, I encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and do all that you can for them.
Team Inspiration Texas strives to encourage, empower and ignite individuals with diagnosed neurological challenges and the people around them to lead more active, fulfilling, and healthy lives.

Jim

1 comment: