Sunday, February 6, 2011

HERE IS GREAT HOPE FOR OUR FUTURE, PROGRESS REPORT AND IMPORTANT LESSON

I need to brag on the young men and women of Team Inspiration. They have always amazed me but this weekend it became very clear to me what exceptional youth surround me and gave me great hope for our future. I know many adults that do not show the kind of maturity and compassion that these fine young people do. Heidi (who is tiny) practically carried me through the finish line at the Light the Night walk and always rides very close to me on our Saturday morning bike rides so that she can keep an eagle’s eye on me. Paco (the young man in the football photo proudly displaying his Team Inspiration wristband) called me from Colorado Friday to say that he was so sorry that he would not make spin class yesterday. I forgave him as he was in Colorado signing to play football for Air Force! (Congratulations Paco.) Reid just joined our group and has an incredible work ethic even noticed by our spin instructor yesterday. Tyler had a major knee injury September 2, 2010, which ended his Senior Year football season as quarterback, requiring him to undergo a total knee reconstruction. He texted me excitedly one day from his doctor’s office not to tell me that he would be playing football any time soon, but to let me know that his doctor had cleared him to do the triathlon with me. Thomas and James used to sit with me at home to make sure that I was okay, do chores around my house, grocery shop or do anything else that needed to be done so that I would not overdo things. They have been like sons to me. They are now sharing in the happiness of my health. And then there is Brandon. Brandon in the last couple of weeks, through shear excitement, has raised a great deal of money for our nonprofit. He has gotten friends like Patrick to join our team and to train with us. Yesterday in the middle of spin class, he turned around and told someone “Yeah. He has MS.” I do not know who he was talking to as I was busy at that point keeping my bike at 100 rpm and trying not to fall off! These young men and women have done so much for me and have encouraged and supported me and shown me compassion that is uncommon in adults, much less folks of their age. Their parents must be extremely proud of them. I sure am.

My progress has been astounding. My swimming, biking and walking are improving at an exponential rate. Sometimes, I cannot believe it myself. Fortunately, I do get occasional reminders not to get over confident or let my ego control. For example, yesterday 5 of my super jocks and two other team members went to spin class with me. I really don’t know why, but my mission was to do back to back spin classes. Maybe just to say "Because I can". Two and a half hours on a spin bike. Two of my super jocks did both classes with me. In retrospect, it was probably not smart on my part because I paid for it this morning on my walk. I thought that since I was getting so strong and improving so much, crushing my previous records this morning would be a piece of cake. Wrong! Nathan reminded me that, as my Handler, on race day if he tells me to sit down, I had better not argue with him. He has become VERY proficient at reading my face and body language and knowing what I need, even when I do not.

The lesson I was reminded of is one that I have said so many times on here. Be smart and do not overdo things. I was not discouraged this morning but disappointed in myself for not being intelligent. DO make the effort but DO NOT be stupid about it. Pace yourself, listen to your body and DO NOT OVERDO!!!!

Good luck, KEEP TRYING and my best,

-Trace

No comments:

Post a Comment