Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Managing Crisis

I had the privilege to attend a Men’s Retreat over the weekend and there were a couple of things that stood out in my mind and I wanted to share them with Trace and then I realized that there isn’t anything that Trace and I share that we would not also offer to others in hope that it would be beneficial to them a well.

The theme at the retreat was about “Crisis”. Sound Familiar? Fact is we are all either in crisis, just getting out of crisis or about to head into the next crisis. Not the most encouraging news but there is opportunity in each situation. Most of us have a calendar filled with planned events and its probably safe to say that none of those events are scheduled to be a crisis. Life is full of unforeseen events which put us in crisis. The hardest part of a crisis is learning how it provides us with the ability to grow. We still get to choose how and to what degree we grow from that experience but it always has the potential to make us better. I could give a number of examples from the retreat or from my own life but I am sure that anyone that reads this can fill in a crisis from their life which was not planned, extremely difficult, and left absolutely no desire to ever go there again. Yet at the same time, it is those events that make us who we are. Hopefully stronger, wiser, more caring and with a better sense of direction to name a few.

There was an interesting comment made to me that I do not want to get misinterpreted but feel there is actually great comfort in it as well. The comment was that “You can’t die until your work is done”. God clearly has a plan for each of our lives and we need to focus on fulfilling our greater purpose. While it is comforting at the same time that it is unnerving, God does not waste a crisis in our lives and he will always take care of us. Now we can all think of examples of where we think a life was called before its time and someday we can get all the answers but the greatest comfort is that we all have a purpose….each and every day!

I recall thinking last year that riding 180 miles on my bike over the weekend in the MS 150 was going to be a waste of time but it provided me with one of the greatest opportunities of my life and that is the involvement with people who have MS and those that support people with MS. I would have never got there on my own and although riding is not a crisis it shows me that I don’t always have to have all the answers but I do need to be available and willing to work within a far greater plan.

Trace and I feel the same way. The formation of Team Inspiration Texas and the impact it has had on us and others is far far greater than anything else we have accomplished. We also know that is cannot happen alone or in isolation. By coming together on this journey called life which is bound to be filled with more unscheduled moments or times of crisis, we can make a difference in the lives of others but it more importantly enables us to handle the greater transformation within ourselves.

Journey along with us and those around you. Always remember you have a significant purpose so make sure your are working it every day.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment