Thursday, October 28, 2010

SETTING A GOOD EXAMPLE

Jim, Nathan and Trisha have taught me so much. They have taught me about the dangers of ego. They have taught me about the importance of nutrition, supplements and eating right. They have beaten into my head that I MUST rest. And this morning Jim taught me about the importance of setting a good example. We teach our children how important that is and it is so easily lost when we get older and our egos kick in.

Last weekend’s ride and the Light the Night Walk were not great for me. Trisha told me during the walk that she has never seen me sweat so much. I thought that maybe I just had a couple of bad days. I was completely oblivious to the fact that the weekend was hot AND humid, two combinations that I do not do well in. Jim asked me this morning whether I wore my cooling vest. I did not. As my sons say: DUH!

Jim reminded me that I have to THINK about my training. I have to THINK about my nutrition. THINK about my rest. THINK about everything about what an athlete does to train for an event.

But he also reminded me of something that is so much more important than my training for this event for me. He reminded me that folks are watching. Folks are using our journey as an example. Whether you have a struggle or not, if you saw me finish Sunday’s walk, he asked whether THAT would inspire someone to get off a couch or try to beat an illness. If I am being honest with myself, it would not because it did not look easy or comfortable. Jim told me that sometimes, as much as it might pain me, I might have to sit something out and cheer on those who are doing the event for Team Inspiration. That is, of course, IF, AND ONLY IF, I have done everything intelligently (rest, nutrition, minimize the effect of the heat, etc., etc., etc.) and really should not participate myself. That does not mean that I CAN’T (I hate that word) do something. It simply means that I should not do it at THAT time. I have a responsibility to set a good example whether it is in my training or in being smart enough to cheer Team Inspiration on. Thank you Jim, Nathan and Trisha for sharing your wisdom with me and now many others.


Good luck, KEEP TRYING and my best,

-Trace

ADDENDUM: The good thing about having so many folks supporting me is that I get feedback very quickly. PLEASE DO NOT THINK FOR A MOMENT THAT I INTEND TO SIT ON THE SIDELINES AND CHEER RATHER THAN DO. The purpose of this post was to acknowledge that I need to be INTELLIGENT about my training, forgive myself when I have a bad day, SET A GOOD EXAMPLE, and .... YES! MIND MY HEROES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADDENDUM 2!:

WOW! I apparently very poorly set out my message today. Thank you Anne who walked with me Sunday and who emailed me:

Hey, Trace, I just read your blog ….

May I remind you of …

Ross, the young man who, at the end of the race came over to you, shook your hand, and said, “Wow, man, that was so inspirational” ….

… And the crowd control man, who as we were leaving Market Street with the crowd turned to you and said, “All the best, man – next time you see me I am going to be 40 pounds lighter. Seeing how hard you work will never let me complain and sit on the couch again!”

… And the families who as they walked by asked your name and began clapping and cheering you on ….

Don’t forget about those ….

Take care,

Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment