Wednesday, October 6, 2010

WE ARE NOT A PATIENT PEOPLE

Nathan and Jim have FINALLY gotten through my thick skull on a very important point. Bear with me.

Mom went into the hospital many months ago to have a cancerous spot on her arm cut out. In the course of that surgery, an issue with her heart was discovered and she ended up with a double bypass, following which numerous complications and issues kept her from her active life. She is 78 years old. We finally took her home about a week ago. She lives alone and was trying to do too much and fell, causing her to get 5 staples in her head. (Nathan observed “how Sherer-like.” Jim concurred.) She was upset that she was not able to multitask immediately upon her return home. She and I have kept referring recently to the fact that WE ARE NOT A PATIENT PEOPLE. We MUST learn to be.

Nathan keeps admonishing me to stop overdoing things and to rest. His instructions are getting more and more….let’s say blunt. Yesterday morning Trisha started me on something she called “Trace’s Boot Camp.” It includes rapid sets of jumping, side to side squats and pushups. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. I was VERY pleased with how I did. So last night I decided to go to a spin class and work on some one legged drills Jim gave me. I did GREAT until about half way through the class and Jarvis just decided that he had had enough for the day and checked out. Jim was standing outside when I was done and noticed I was obviously not happy. He helped set my bike properly for next time and gave me a lot of encouragement.

He was not so delicate with me this morning. After my workout, when I went in the locker room, he talked about his great and easy swim this morning. He then asked if because he felt so good about it whether he should go upstairs and run a billion miles or find some other way to over do it. OKAY. OKAY BOYS. I FINALLY GET IT. I can stop when I KNOW that I have worked hard and be satisfied with my accomplishment. Success does not mean I reduce myself to a quivering mass of worthless lawyer. (Yes. I know Jim that the worthless lawyer part will still be there.) Here we go again boys and girls. Baby Steps. Rest. Now let’s add be happy with your progress and BE PATIENT. I know that we have said to be patient before but maybe if I keep saying it I will follow my own advice. Mom. Kimi. WE MUST BECOME A PATIENT PEOPLE.

Good luck, KEEP TRYING and my best,

-Trace

1 comment:

  1. Confucius says:

    "I have often wondered why, in the Englsh language, most professional service providers have "clients", while doctors and dentists have "patients".

    There is nothing cool about waiting to get better, or even waiting to be treated.

    It must have something to do with waiting for the insurance company to pay (while it finds all kinds of reasons not to pay)."

    ReplyDelete