Monday, January 24, 2011

Success

I came across an interesting quote by basketball hall of fame player Michael Jordan..."I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I was trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." I highly doubt anyone would ever call Michael Jordan a failure and the point is not that he thinks he is a failure but that he recognizes that there will be many failures or set backs in life. How we handle them is what shapes who we are and what we accomplish in the life we are given.

I also attended a funeral over the weekend for a 9 year old girl that lived her life with Cerebral Palsy. So much grief tied to a parent having to let go of a child. She was not ever able to run and jump or even try to shoot a basketball. She knew what it was to live life with constant failures yet she had every bit as much of an impact on people that she encountered as a MVP. Simply an amazing story yet far too brief. In this time of grief there were incredibly wise words shared by a number of people and a line from the program that resonated within me. And as I allowed it to sink in I realized that this is a message that Team Inspiration carries and a good reminder for us all....."I am who I was born to be".

Chances are you may not be able to do everything that you want to do or accomplish all that you envision. If you learn to live your life knowing and using your gifts and talents then even though you encounter failures which we all will, you will know that you are who you were born to be. That my friend is as close to perfection as we can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment