Monday, January 10, 2011

PROGRESS REPORT AND REMINDER ABOUT BABY STEPS

I wanted to give you a progress report but first I want to remind you about the importance of taking baby steps.

I do not want those of you who are following this blog to think for a nanosecond that I was able to do a even a FRACTION of what I am doing today when I started this last May. If you read this from the beginning, you will see the progression. As Nathan pointed out last week, I had to work up to taking a break at 1.55 miles. When he and I started walking, I could barely make a half-mile (or less) before I had to stop. And riding my bike KILLED me, even for a short distance. Importantly, even minimal physical exertion frequently caused me to have to rest for the remainder of the day or longer. I am just a weak man made strong by the support of AMAZING people. They have helped me to get where I am. And we have done it by taking baby steps and learning to be patient. I encourage you to go back and read this from the beginning so that you may see what I have learned.

Now for a progress report!

Saturday, Pete and Heather and I went for our weekly bike ride. I rode 15.25 miles WITHOUT TAKING A BREAK EXCEPT FOR SHORT WATER BREAKS AND WITHOUT GETTING OFF OF MY BIKE! When we got back to Villa, Heather insisted that she stand next to me as I got off of my bike. (I have gained MANY mothers and fathers in this process!) Perhaps that was because in the past, getting off of my bike usually consisted of me falling to the ground where I had to remain until I could stand. Even then, my walking was pathetic. Not Saturday! Heather says that I swung my leg up and over the bike like a pro. Better yet, I was able to stand straight and strong and even walked for some time! Could I have done any of that last May? NO WAY! And I tirelessly ran errands the rest of the day!

As you saw in yesterday’s blog, my walk with Nathan was a stormy one! But despite the temperature and driving rain, I was still able to beat my previous time for the 5K!

Make a start! Take baby steps, surround yourself with amazing and positive people who tell you that you CAN, and (to steal the Nike slogan) JUST DO IT!

Good luck, KEEP TRYING and my best,

-Trace

1 comment:

  1. HI TRACE, YOU MET MY DAUGHTER,MIMI BATES. I LOVE YOU BLOG. I HAVE SENT IT TO SEVERAL OF MY FRIENDS. YOU INSPIRED ME. GOD BLESS, AND THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete