Monday, April 16, 2012

THE VICTORY WITHIN

Ever since I was diagnosed with MS in 1999, I have dreamed of riding in the MS150.  As my disease progressed, I worried that that dream was becoming more difficult to achieve. Please notice that I did not say impossible. Nothing is impossible.  In 5 days I will ride in my first MS150 and it is so special to me for so many reasons.

I will be riding on a tandem with Nathan thanks to the generosity of my dear friend Mush.  She is affectionately known as The Beast and Nathan and I took her on her maiden voyage yesterday. My only complaint is that there are no footholds for me to rest my feet as Nathan hauls my carcass to Austin. Guess I will have to pedal. In addition to Nathan, Jim, my doctor, Igor Cherches, two of our super jocks, Brandon and Travis and a friend Joe are all coming home from college to ride.  For me, the weather will be a major factor.  I may not be able to ride the full way but who cares? Two years ago before the great adventure with the triathlon started, I could not ride a bike even a mile.  The way I see it, if I ride 1.1 miles, I have achieved a major victory.

Saturday, my niece,  Emerson Cutchall, and her Girl Scout Troop 18360 set up a lemonade and cookie stand to raise money for the MS150 on behalf of Team Inspiration.  In less than 2 hours, these amazing young ladies raised over $400 and learned so much about MS and the beauty of compassion towards others.

Perhaps the biggest victory this weekend will be that Jim's vision of patient involvement  will become reality.  Thanks to the generous support of sponsors like Accendo International, O'Rourke Petroleum and Shell, Team Inspiration has chartered a bus and will take patients from Houston to the finish line in Austin where they can cheer on the riders and express their gratitude.  It promises to be a beautiful weekend all around.

If you would like to donate to my MS150 ride fundraising efforts, you can go to ms150.org. Then Team Resources, Then 2012 Team List and click my name. It is that easy. Any amount is greatly appreciated!!!

So, the victories this weekend will be plentiful.  You can start enjoying your own victories if you

KEEP DREAMING OUT LOUD!

-Trace

1 comment:

  1. Thinking about you this morning! What a beautiful day for a ride! May God be with you today and manifest Himself to you in great and mighty ways!

    Tami Sandlin
    O'Rourke Petroleum

    ReplyDelete