Monday, November 7, 2011

WHEN AN EPIDEMIC IS GOOD

Have you ever noticed how when someone smiles at you, you can't help but to feel better? I am talking about a genuine, comes-from-the-soul warm smile. The kind that just wraps you up like a warm blanket on a cold day. It is magical the effect that kind of smile has on you. If you add laughter to the equation, the result is astounding. Conversely, when we are around people that are terminally grumpy or in a bad mood, the pall that is cast has an even greater affect on folks. It brings everyone way, way down. The other day I was having "an issue". Trying to practice what I preach, I was trying to find a way to positively deal with the situation. A friend sent me a text message that made me laugh. My mood immediately brightened. My response to my friend? LOL!!! Then it hit me. I just got a smile and laugh through a text message. A real, heart-warming smile. We have talked about this before. Our attitude has the ability to profoundly affect everyone around us, whether in person or through as basic a form of communication as a text or an email. That, in turn, affects everyone around them and so on and so on.

So, since smiling and laughter are good and because they are contagious, your simple smile today can have the effect of brightening someone’s day half way across the world in a month or more. Wild, isn’t it?

Let's start an epidemic. Don't worry. The flushed face, feeling of giddiness and uncontrollable feelings of joy are a good thing. And it is contagious.

No comments:

Post a Comment