Friday, June 10, 2011

JARVIS. MEET TIMMY.

A friend of mine found 5 years ago that she had a very bad brain tumor, known as a glioblastoma multiforme (GBM). Kelly named the little booger Timmy. We take great comfort in naming the parts of our bodies that cause us trouble. Try it! It is easier to disassociate yourself from the problem children that way.

Kelly, like me, focuses on the positives and not the negatives. She had a very dangerous brain surgery and, as I would have expected of her, she beat it. She is a physician and for the last 5 years Timmy has been silent. Apparently Timmy was upset that he was not invited to the 5 year celebration of Kelly being Timmy-free, so he showed up again last week. Kelly will have surgery this Monday.

What I love about Kelly is that she sees the positives in everything. I am attaching her CaringBridge post from today so you can see:

Okay, for those of you that know me, the first time around I learned to find positives about everything…….and yes, I mean EVERYTHING. In fact, I like this so much that I always have my patients going through something difficult to find the positives.

So I woke up 2 nights ago and my mind wouldn't sleep and randomly felt like making a humorous “Top 10 List” of the positives. So here we go!

10. Bye-bye weight watchers!

9. No more resident schedule review!! (my colleagues get this one)

8. Good thing I had already asked to be off work on June 13th

7. UT Houston MD Anderson does not use that horrible burnt orange....that color always makes me a little nauseous

6. Casual clothes, here I come!

5. I can use the f-bomb anytime I feel like it, including in cognitive testing when asked to list all the words I could think of that started with an "F"

4. I actually made a doctor have to document the f-bomb in my chart!

3. I can finally get that painful screw in my head moved!

2. I get a free haircut on Monday

1. I can get anyone, to do anything, any time I want! :-)

I share this with you so that you see that the power of positive thought is real. If we keep our eyes on things that are positive, we can beat anything!

Timmy, sorry to tell you but, like Jarvis, you cannot play with us. See ya.

Good luck, KEEP TRYING and my best,

-Trace

No comments:

Post a Comment